Saturday, June 28, 2008

Chapter III, pt. I

As soon as he met Mike Marsh, the radio show host, he knew why he had come. He’d seen the man before. He’d seen him once before dressed in a blue tennis shirt, light brown khakis with sunglasses and something else that distinguished him. Something he’d never forget.
“You’re the man,” Adam said, “you’re the man with the bullhorn.”

“Folks,” Marsh was on the air, “I can tell you how sad I truly am. I,” and he held this word for a long time for emphasis, “I have seen the future. This is it, thiiiiiiiis is the sign, thiiiiiiiis is the final clue we need to know, that the New World Order is upon us.” He paused there for a second, “it’s happening right now, right here in front of us.” He raised his voice and boomed, “the earth is opening up under our feet and we are being sucked down into the pits of slave hell!” Then his tone changed slightly, “and don’t forget where you heard it first. Yeeees, don’t you forget who toooold you it was coming. It wasn’t Fox News or CNN or NBC. No! You heard it right here on the Mike Marsh show!”
Adam could only watch the man at work. What kind of show was this anyway?
“Adam,” Marsh cried, “Adaaaaaaaam! I believe you have been desecrated. I believe you’ve been defiled. I believe you have a microchip somewhere in your body and weeeeeee’re gonna find it. Weeeeeee’re gonna cast it from your form.” His tone suddenly became gentler, “now what do you think of that?”
“Are you sure there’s a microchip in me?” Marsh reached for Adam’s shoulder with a sickening impulsiveness that nearly made Adam scream.
“We’re gonna find out today!” Marsh cried, exulting to the heavens. He reached inside his inside breast pocket and groped around for a long second that felt like eternity then all at once, boing! His hand sprung out and in it a stumpy black box with a large thick antenna on top that whipped from side to side from the effort. “We have got a secret weapon here, folks, yes we do. What we have here is an RF detector, that’s a radio frequency detector,” he paused to wipe a few beads of sweat from his forehead, “and we’re going to get to the bottom of this little mystery right here, right now.
“But first!…we’re gonna take a commercial break.”
He took off his headset and sunk slightly in his chair.
“Would you,” Adam said, battling nerves from intimidation, “would you consider yourself an evangelical man?”
“Hey kid,” Marsh said, “get out of here, will ya?” and he began to chuckle.
“Are you a religious man? A Christian man?”
Marsh cocked his head to the side a bit and said, “not more so than anybody else.”
Adam nodded, “I had this dream. I don’t know,” he bit his nails.
“Huh,” Marsh said and took a sip of coffee. He dabbed his forehead with his handkerchief. “Now look, kid, you see this thing?” and he held up the RF detector, “I can’t turn this on here, this is a radio station. We’re surrounded by radio frequency. But we’re gonna turn it on for the people listening,” he winked vigorously, “and we’re gonna find a microchip in your shoulder, how’s that sound?”
“Uh…”
“Don’t have second thoughts, huh? I really do think they did put a chip in you, I believe they did, so I'm not lying. My conscience is clean.”
Adam said nothing.
“Listen, this is for the people, you know? The people, they support us, so we gotta give ‘em a dog and pony show, you know?” he chuckled.
“Okay.”
“Alright,” and Marsh put his headset back on. “We’re back on the Mike Marsh show, I’m your host Mike Marsh and with me today is a very special guest, a very special guest. Here’s a brave young man who was tampered with by your military, tagged with an RFID chip and he is risking torture and death by being with us here today and speaking out about it. Thanks for being here Adam.”
He heard his heartbeat. He became dizzy. The lights blacked out, sparks flew from the console, a severe white light burst from Marsh’s headset like arc welding, strobing in and out at first then settling around the sides of his head, creating a black line down the middle of his face, then changing from white to red light. Marsh got up out of his seat and leaned on the table, toward Adam.
“Torture.”
“Death.”
“God.”
“Feeeeeeeeeeeear Him! Feeeeeeeeeeeear Him!”
Adam fell backwards out of his chair and banged the back of his head on the linoleum floor.

When he woke up he was still lying there and Marsh was waving the little black RF detector in the vicinity of his right shoulder saying, “Praaaaaaaaaise Jesus, praaaaaaaaaaise the Lord, we’ve found it! Adam! Adam! Come to my boy, we’ve found the evil thing. Get up my boy, get up! We’ve found the evil thing that exists inside of you.”
Of course, the RF detector was still off.

2 comments:

benzo369 said...

Really neat pacing and strong deveopment. I am absolutely digging Marsh 'cuz I think he is a real a-hole and no one likes an a-hole 'cept me and my friends.
At then at the end I figured there had been significant time between Adam falling backwards and Adam waking up. I was wrong.

Crabmonster said...

Good! I'm glad Marsh stuck out because his role will become more prominent as the story progresses.

You can't introduce a character that people are going to remember and then not bring him back.